Monday, July 28, 2014

Saraswat traditions

Every year, during the holy month of Shravan on every Fridays and Sundays, for long as I can recollect, I have observed my mother without fail, performing the ritual of "Choodi Pujan" where a small bunch of flowers and a few strands of Durva is tied together and worshipped along with a few betel leaves, betel nut and the Tulsi plant.
I remember as a small child taking part enthusiastically in these Pujas. The preparation began early in the morning when I used to go around in our colony collecting flowers. Ratnagandhi, Shankapushpi, Jaswandi were typically a part of the Choodi. Kamakasturi, a fragrant leaf was also included wherever available. 


As she performed the Puja, I recollect waiting eagerly for it to get over so that she could serve the sweet delicacy which she had prepared for the occasion. The sweets were typically Pohas sweetened with Jaggery with grated raw coconut mixed liberally called God Pohu or a mixture of coarsely ground chana powder/Moong powder with jaggery, coconut and cardamom called Panchakajay.
Now, Marigold, Rose petals Asters and other whatever flowers our Haarwalla gets have replaced the traditional flowers. I am busy in my profession, she is too old to go out by herself to pluck the flowers from the plants and trees in the neighbourhood. But her Pujas continue religiously. The sweets are made as usual, tasting better and better with her experienced hands, but I no longer wait for them. I eat them in the evening, sometimes the next day, sometimes it’s left uneaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment